Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye January 13, FR

The main character Holden Caulfield presented many opinions about life that I had never thought of before. The attitude that Holden has and his personality is different from one I have ever seen before. I understand that this book has played a role in different shootings in history. I can not see how this happened at all. I got nothing from the book that would encourage someone to shoot another person. Maybe I might have missed something, but I do not get that out of the novel at all. In some of my research on the novel I found the various shootings the novel was involved in, especially John Lennon’s. I see The Catcher in the Rye as a story of a boy who is figuring out who he is and what he wants. Holden obviously knows everything that he does not want. The feeling I get from Holden is that he is almost afraid of becoming an adult. Possibly the reason that he keeps failing out of schools is that he does not want to group up. Holden is confused about who he is. The novel has brought up different topics about life that I did not think about before. J.D. Salinger’s characters were a great complement to Holden’s personality. Allowing the reader to meet new characters from Holden’s perspective made Holden more relatable to the reader. Also, Salinger’s writing style makes the reader feel closer to Holden. The entire book is written from Holden’s point of view, so it is written in the language that he would use.

The Catcher in the Rye
http://www.sparknotes.com/sparknotes/video/catcher

No comments:

Post a Comment