Friday, January 7, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye January 7, page 173 Q9

“What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

This quote is very significant to the story, not only because it is the source of the title, but because it is the perfect example of Holden’s fascination with childhood. Holden says this while talking with his sister. Phoebe asks him if there is anything that he really likes because all he talks about is the things that he does not like. It is very interesting that the one thing that Holden can come up with that he would like to do is play with and watch over children. Of all the other options Holden could have picked, it speaks volumes that he likes this ideas over all the others.

Coming Through the Rye
http://www.archive.org/details/ComingThroughTheRye

No comments:

Post a Comment