Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye January 6, page 155 Q7

“Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.”

Many of the things that Holden says remind of something that a child would say. I find it interesting how Holden disagrees with so many things that are widely accepted in society. This quotes gives even more insight into Holden’s complex personality. You would think that Holden says things like this to be funny, but he really is serious. This quote and others like it in the book add to Holden’s personality and sheds some light on why he does some of the things he does. He does not like to be part of the majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment