Friday, January 7, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye January 7, page 214 Q10

“D.B. asked me what I thought about all this stuff I just finished telling you about. I didn't know what the hell to say. If you want to know the truth, I don't know what I think about it. I'm sorry I told so many people about it. About all I know is, I sort of miss everybody I told about. Even old Stradlater and Ackley, for instance. I think I even miss that goddam Maurice. It's funny. Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”

This quote is the ending to the novel and tells about Holden’s personality as well as the writing style of Salinger. Having Holden speak to the reader directly creates a more personally feeling to the novel, and this ending makes the reader feel as if Holden is telling only you the story. When Holden says this, he goes back on some of the feelings he expressed earlier in the book. He says he begins to miss some of the people he came into contact with throughout his journey. The reader can tell that Holden thinks a lot about his life by many of the things he says during the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment